Blog Notes: Slow Progress, Trac, and Svn
My blog improvement project is still going, just very slowly. I have done more research on trac, Redmine, gitlab, and such, and after some thought I’ve decided to do the following:
- Migrate my trac site to Redmine.
- Create an account at gitlab and move my svn projects to gitlab.
- I will also update my WordPress installation, including fixing issues such as extra characters all over the place on old posts.
Some notes on these choices:
- I’m using Redmine to replace trac because it seems to have better import abilities, and is much easier to install on Webfaction (my hosting provider) than gitlab. Also, gitlab can use a lot of resources. Redmine also looks like a better match for my wiki style.
- I want to move from subversion to a distributed version control system. Although there are advantages to systems such as mercurial, git has by far the largest mind-share and support.
- I like the fact that gitlab supports both hosted (for here) and local (for work) servers, unlike alternatives such as github.
- Howerver, projects on github seem to be more visible and more easily found.
- Finally, if I run into some big road-blocks, I might change my mind.