Cool Stuff: Fieldbus Finder by Sick Sensors
Sick sensors has a really cool web page showing their products sorted by supported fieldbus.Â It’s simple:
- Find the fieldbus you’re interested in; choices include CANOpen, DeviceNet, EtherCAT, EtherNet/IP, HIPERFACE, IO-Link, Modbus TCP, Profibus DP, Profinet, PROFIsafe, and SSI.
- Find the component type you’re interested in.Â What’s available varies with the fieldbus; for example, only measurement and feedback sensors are available for the SSI and HIPERFACE encoder buses.
- However, the major fieldbuses have a lot of available types, typically including absolute encoders, bar code scanners, 2D code readers (for Datamatrix and such), laser measurement, linear measurement, light curtains, network gateways, RFID, safety controllers, safety laser scanners, and hand-held scanners.
- Sometimes, adding fieldbus functionality requires a gateway module, or an external communications module.Â From a glance, it appears most safety communications (e.g. to safety controller) and most EtherCAT communications require a gateway — and those gateways can be pricey.
- Still, Sick’s level of fieldbus support is impressive.
- Then a new tab appears with search results for the component type, already filtered by fieldbus type.