Alibre Design Xpress: Now a secret

It appears that Alibre is now trying to keep Design Xpress (the free version, with limitations such as five unique parts per assembly) a secret.  There are now no references to Design Xpress on Alibre’s home page or Products page.  Many of the links, such as the product page for Design Xpress and the feature comparision, now return “Page does not exist” errors.  However, a page giving the differences between Design Xpress and the Design trial still exists.

Although I haven’t tried downloading and installing to verify, it appears Xpress still does exist, since the registration page for the Design Professional trial still says: “After 30 days your trial converts to Alibre Design Xpress, which has no time limit.”

Go here for my latest MCAD news posts.

1 Max Freeman { 06.24.09 at 9:07 pm }

Alibre Design Xpress definitely still exists. As you say above, you can download it by getting the trial of Alibre Design Professional and after 30 days it will convert to Alibre Design Xpress, which is free forever.

2 Dave M. { 06.25.09 at 1:34 pm }

I don’t know what the most recent version is, but you can also get it from CNet at http://tinyurl.com/alibre-design-express-11

3 Max Freeman { 06.30.09 at 11:06 am }

You can get it right from out website – we aren’t keeping it a secret. The first thing everyone sees on the Trial page is that they get Xpress for free after the Trial period is over.

Max Freeman
Alibre, Inc.

4 Tony { 06.30.09 at 4:14 pm }

Max,
Thanks for the feedback. One reason I wrote this post was to explain why the links in my previous post about Design Xpress quit working. I do call removing most mention of Design Xpress intentionally hiding it.

However, Alibre has a perfect right to do that. If you use free versions of commercial software, you should be aware that the terms can change at any time (as I’ve noted, Alibre has changed the terms for Design Xpress over time, and PTC removed their free Pro/Desktop product (but gave the active users a 5-year license)). I appreciate the fact that Design Xpress is still available, including from CNet as Dave noted; Alibre could have totally dropped Design Xpress.

5 Eric Smith { 11.15.09 at 3:45 pm }

There’s even less info on Design Xpress now, and the info on the trial doesn’t say anything about Xpress that I can find. Assuming that the trial still converts into Xpress after the 30 days, what features go away?

6 Tony { 11.16.09 at 12:31 pm }

Eric,
I just checked and Design Xpress and the Design trial comparison still exists (at https://www.alibre.com/products/xpress_trial_comparison.asp ).

I’d say Alibre DE is mainly useful if you want to learn MCAD, evaluate Alibre Standard, or model single parts; if you want to create assemblies, there are better options (e.g. CoCreate PE for <60 parts). If you need to export your work, you’re going to have to pay.