Fieldbus Book Wars
Notes 4/21/2011: I’ve updated the links and status (but not the chart); both CANOpen books are now available.Â Sometime I’d like to revisit field bus books, but it’s not a high priority.
One way of judging programming language popularity is to compare book sales. So I decided to do something similar – see how many books in Amazon.com had the names of popular fieldbuses in their title. I excluded non-English books (German Profibus users get more choices) and standards documents.
|Fieldbus||In Print||Out Of Print||Total|
I wouldn’t choose a fieldbus on the basis of books; for example, many of the fieldbuses have good information available on the web. But it’s interesting to look at the book titles and year of publication:
- Embedded Networking with CAN and CANOpen (2003,
out of printin print). The authors are trying to arrangehave arranged another printing.
- CANopen Implementation: Applications to Industrial Networks (2000,
- Profibus: A Pocket Guide (2003, in print)
- Decentralization with Profibus DP/DPV1 (2004,
- Profibus: The Fieldbus for Industrial Automation (1993, unavailable)
- Automating with Profinet: Industrial communication based on Industrial Ethernet (2006, in print)
- Design and Installation of Foundation Fieldbus Systems (2007, unavailable)
- Foundation Fieldbus (2005, in print)
- Foundation Fieldbus: A Pocket Guide (2002, unavailable)
Apparently fieldbus books do sell: several recent books are already out of print (or otherwise unavailable).